Forums » Support

K&A Community

• 3 posts
    October 25, 2012 8:40 AM PDT

This is a new media experience for me.  What is the difference between a blog and a forum?  Where do I go to ask members to share their knowledge with me?  Is that a blog or forumn?  What is ontopic versus offtopic?  I'm certain by next week this will be old hat for me, but today I am learning!  Jeri

• 3 posts
    October 25, 2012 8:42 AM PDT
    Also what are the different subgroups in forums?
    • 1 posts
    October 25, 2012 2:29 PM PDT
    That about sums up my questions as well Jeri. I hope someone will enlighten the both of us.
    • 1 posts
    November 29, 2012 7:47 AM PST

I will share what my opinion is regarding this.  It can be a little different in each environment, but my experience has been that a blog is a place to share insight, information, feelings, etc.  Others can comment on what you share, but it's really more about you sharing than getting responses.

A forum is more of a place where you can ask questions and get answers from others.  It's much more of a two way street than a blog.  Now having said that, many blogs have comment sections below them where a significant dialogue goes on, so a blog format doesn't exclude interaction.

I would say if you have questions, a forum is the best place to go.

As for on topic vs off topic, the concept is that if a forum has a specific header, messages in that forum should relate to that header.  For instance, this is a support forum, so it wouldn't be a good place to advertise my newest business venture, but it's a great place to ask questions and get support.  Getting support would be on topic, advertising my business venture would be off topic.

Hope that help!

Nikki